Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Of Time, Nukes, Dreams and Second Chances

I'm big on dreams.

It's not exactly a secret, either, as I have a tattoo of a dream catcher on my left arm, have nightly lucid dreams, daydream often, and can even control some dreams (really). These dreams can vary wildly, and I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say that some have had underground alien biomes.

However, as of late, I've found my dreams have a reoccurring theme, a motif if you will. That being: "You are running out of time, the world is going to end soon." Mildly morbid and depressing, sure, but it has a pretty big effect on me, as every time I have a dream related to that, I feel it to be more vivid than others, can recall them damn-near perfectly and they all have the same twist at the end ("What a tweeeest!").

You dickhead.

For example, almost 10 years ago, I had a dream where a large asteroid was on a collision course with Earth (Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis were unavailable). I wanted to say goodbye to someone before I died, however, I missed my chance and died along with the world. Soon after, my consciousness was revived (by what I can only assume were aliens or robots), and was tasked with going back to averting the aforementioned disaster. Many years later, I had another impacting dream regarding a nuke going off on a city I was trying to escape. Alas, I wasn't fast enough and was killed in the ensuing explosion, along with the entire city, yet, I seemed to "wake up" two days prior in the same spot with the foreknowledge of what was to happen and the task of "fix this shit before we all die". Repeat ad nauseum with the other dreams.

If you haven't picked up on it, the dreams always have the same divergence from "reality" in that I am given a second chance to stop the cataclysm from occurring in every situation, usually after eating a nuke with my face or playing catch with an asteroid. The realization of this made me want to investigate the underlying reason as to why I have those particular types of dreams, and I have found the answer: I play video games. Allow me to illustrate:

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a game about a boy named Link who has to stop the moon from colliding face-first with the world in three days. However, he has a magic ocarina that lets him revert all changes and keep reliving the same three days over and over to figure out how the hell to stop a small planetesimal from head-butting everything you know and love.

"I'mma fuck you up, world!"

Braid is a game with two storylines, however, both deal with fixing your mistakes with manipulation of time. Also, [JESUS CHRIST, SPOILER ALERT!] the game is about the nuke and how it came to be. [/SPOILERS]

This game will force-feed you the 4th dimension and you're gonna friggin' like it.

Rather interesting how the mind plays on your recent experiences, images, sounds and feelings when you least expect it. How about yourself? Any reoccurring dreams as well?

"I Stopped Worrying and Love the Bomb"

- Cee

0 comments:

Post a Comment